FFA Cup R32 MD3 Review

First off, I can’t recall a match day of FFA Cup action that has had this much drama! The magic of this incredible competition was well and truly evident tonight!

It was very hard to keep up with at times as I had to duck back and forth between games but I hope you all enjoy the review on one of the craziest nights in Australian football in some time.

Melbourne knights v aDELAIDE UNITED

Embed from Getty Images

Adelaide United advanced to the R16 of the FFA Cup after coming away from Knights Stadium with a 5-2 win over Melbourne Knights.

The opening goal at Knights Stadium came in the 12th minute from the travelling Adelaide United.

Ben Halloran set up a great ball for youngster Al-Hassan Toure. Toure got on a tight angle and slotted home in the far left, past Knights keeper Jordan Gifkins, for an early 1-0 lead.

Knights had a great chance to equalise shortly after when attacker Hamish Watson was through on goal. His effort was covered by a great save palmed away from Adelaide’s keeper Paul Izzo.

Halloran turned from provider to goal scorer in the 24th minute. Halloran skipped around Gifkins and calmly finished into an open net for a 2-0 lead.

Gian Albano got the Knights back into the contest in the 28th minute. Mohammed Awad’s effort hit the inside of the bar and ricocheted into play. Albano banged it in the far right past Izzo to give Knights a bit of hope.

Gifkins made a fantastic save off a great shot from Toure soon after which was met with great applause from the home fans.

Nathan Konstandopoulos sent the ball into the upright for United’s third of the night.

Gifkins made another huge save for the Knights when he kept out Curaco import Michael Maria.

Maria’s shot was hit with some power but Gifkins palmed it away and gave the visitors a corner.

Mirko Boland could have had a goal if it wasn’t for newest signing Riley Mcgree getting a slight touch off his shot. Boland got onto a rolling ball and fired it home but Mcgree got the final tap and claimed the goal to give United a 4-1 lead.

Aidan Bryce gave the Knights a slight gimmer of hope in the 71st minute. A cross from a setpiece hit Bryce and he headed home to make the score 2-4.

Knight’s hopes was short lived when Halloran added to United’s tally. Toure turned provider when he made a through ball for Halloran who made no mistake slotting home.

That was the final action of the night to give the reigning FFA Cup champions their passage into the next round.

Sydney fc v brisbane roar

Embed from Getty Images

Brisbane Roar advanced to the R16 in the FFA Cup after upsetting A-League champions Sydney FC in a 2-0 win at Leighthardt park.

Stefan Mauk got the Robbie Fowler era off to a good start when he shot past Sydney’s keeper Andrew Redmayne. Mauk’s hit did catch a deflection on the way in.

Irish import Jay O’Shea added to the home sides woes when he doubled the lead before half-time. O’Shea was played through by fellow countryman Roy O’ Donavan, O’Shea powerful shot flew past Redmayne into the top corner to give the Roar a 2-0 advantage.

Sydney were struck by injuries. Milos Ninkovic and Rhyan Grant both going off with hard knocks. Ninkovic had to be helped off the field with the aid of medical staff.

That was enough to give the Roar a huge win in Sydney and to get Robbie Fowler’s men off and running.

Melbourne victory v newcastle jets fc

Embed from Getty Images

Newcastle Jets have come from two goals down to defeat Melbourne Victory 3-2 in extra time at AAMI Park.

Andrew Nabbout got his second run in Victory colours off to a flyer when he broke the deadlock to give Melbourne the lead at half-time. Nabbout received a great ball from Elvis Kamsoba, Nabbout’s shot hit the upright on the way in past Jets keeper Lewis Italiano.

Nabbout picked up a brace for his new club when he stormed into the penalty box, dribbled past the Jets defence and slotted home past Italiano to give the Victory a 2-0 lead.

Jet’s defender Johnny Koutroumbis got the visitors back into the contest in the 73rd minute. A deflected shot from outside the box was enough to sneak past Victory keeper Laurence Thomas.

Thomas was substituted soon after when he went down with injury. Backup keeper Matthew Acton took the place.

Dimi Petratos equalised shortly after when his shot fired past Acton inside the box. Acton had no chance as the Socceroo’s shot was hit with huge force.

After chances blown from both sides in the final 15 minutes, referee Shaun Evans blew full-time on 90 minutes plus stoppages and we were set for extra time.

Kamsoba had the best chance for Victory in the first period when he was through on goal but his shot blazed wide.

Abdiel Arroyo nearly made the dream debut for the Jets for his effort in the second period. The Panamanian international’s shot was saved at the far post by Acton.

Patrick Langlois completed the Jets comeback in the 112th minute. Langlois’s shot inside the box fired home past Acton to give Newcastle a 3-2 lead.

That was the final action of the game with the Jets heading into the Round of 16 while Marco Kurz’s men bowed out at home.

Brisbane Strikers v Wellington phoenix

Embed from Getty Images

Brisbane Strikers have knocked out A-League outfit Wellington Phoenix in a penalty shoot out winning 4-2 over the Nix at Perry Park.

Brisbane Strikers made their mark on the board in the 24th minute. Hiroki Omori shot outside the box fired past Nix’s keeper Stefan Marinovic to give the Strikers a surprise 1-0 lead over the New Zealand club.

Strikers continued the goalfest when they doubled their lead through Andy Pengelly. Pengelly’s shot was hit with force and suddenly we had a real chance of a cupset on our hands!

Phoenix got right back into the contest however with a goal from new signing Cameron Devlin. Devlin picked up the scraps off a set-piece rebound from the Strikers defence and hit home past Bon Scott in goals to make it 2-1.

Callum McCowatt got the visitors back on level terms in the 71st minute. McCowatt was on a tight angle outside the box but had no worries shooting home for the equaliser past Scott.

No one could find the winning goal in regulation plus stoppages so we were off to extra time!

Phoenix were given a penalty kick right before the first half of extra time after a handball appeal was given. UK import David Ball’s spot kick was denied by Scott much to the delight of the home fans at Perry Park.

Strikers substitute Zac Maltby had a great chance to give the home side the lead but his attempt was just wide.

Liberato Cacace slotted the first for the Nix

Andrew Pengelly got on the board with ease for the Strikers.

David Ball would not have any second chance luck when his shot blazed over the bar much to the delight of the home fans.

Hiroki Omori scored his second of the night and finished in the back of the net past Marinovic to give the home side a 2-1 lead!

Callum McCowatt was also denied when he went right down the middle only for Scott to make a great save!

Zac Maltby made no mistake from his kick which gave the Strikers the crucial two goal lead.

Alex Ruffer hit his shot home past Scott to give the Nix a glimmer of hope. But Stefan Marinovic had to save the next spot kick.

Fraser Hills confirmed the Strikers win by converting his penalty calmly and the Brisbane side were off to the Round of 16

pERTH GLORY V Western sydney wanderers

Embed from Getty Images

Western Sydney Wanderers have secured the final spot in the R16 draw after defeating A-League Premiers Perth Glory 2-1 in Extra time at Dorrien Gardens.

After many chances from both sides, regulation time could not seperate the two and we were off to extra time.

Academy graduate Mohamed Adam had the best real chance of the game for the Wanderer’s but his shot inside the box was palmed away from Perth’s Liam Reddy.

Wanderer’s keeper Daniel Lopar was called into action shortly after coming out from a corner ball and palming away on hopeful Western Sydney attackers in wait

Adam broke the deadlock when he struck home in the 108th minute. Adam got onto a tight angle and cut the far right post past Reddy to give the Wanderers the lead!

Perth defender Tomi Mrcela equalised soon after hitting a great ball outside the box to get Perth back to 1-1 in a matter of minutes!

Kwame Yeboah regained the lead soon after that for the Wanderers! After a bit of cluster in the box, Yeboah was on the ball and slotted home past Reddy.

Diego Castro for Perth earned a red card for his protest with the referees on the result after the whistle.

Round of 16 draw results

Brisbane Roar v Central Coast Mariners

Moreland Zebras FC v Magpie Crusaders FC

Adelaide Olympic v Hume City FC

Brisbane Strikers v Manly United

Marconi Stallions v Melbourne City FC

Olympic FC v Adelaide United

Edgeworth FC v Newcastle Jets

Sydney United 58 v Western Sydney Wanderers