NPL TAS R23 Review

Devonport strikers v Glenorchy knights

Devonport Strikers have stormed to another win defeating Glenorchy Knights 3-1 at Valley Road.

Daniel Syson continued his great run of form when he scored the first goal of the day in the 12th minute. Max Fitzgerald ran into the box and Knight’s keeper Lachlan Hart ran out to stop the attack, Fitzgerald set up Syson who finished calmly into a open net for the early 1-0 lead

George Hallard got the Knights back on level terms in the 34th minute. Diego Gutierrez-Chavez fired a cross from a set piece, Hallard made no mistake heading it into the back of the net past Strikers keeper Nathan Pitchford.

Right before half-time Devonport reclaimed the lead. Joel Stone produced a lovely chip into the box for Fitzgerald. Fitzgerard’s attempt hit the upright and ricocheted back into play, Eddie Bidwell got the final touch and the Strikers had a 2-1 lead going into the break.

The icing on the cake was from Striker’s Toby Barton in the 83rd minute. Connor Parke whipped in a good cross for Barton who headed home past Hart to give the Strikers another big home win.

Riverside olympic v Kingborough lions

Chris Wademan has rescued a point for Riverside with a clutch goal in the 88th minute to deny Kingborough all three points in a 1-1 draw at Windsor Park.

The first half was well controlled by the Lions in the attack, keeping the home side from having a single shot! But Kingborough couldn’t find a breakthrough so the scores were kept at 0-0 going into half-time.

Keenan Douce continued his great run of scoring form by scoring for the Lions late in the 80th minute. Douce has certainly made a knack of scoring in crucial times the last couple weeks; equalising in the 75th vs Devonport last week and in the 80th today!

Wademan erased the lead in the 88th minute and grabbed back a crucial point for the home side.

Lions will look at this game with two points dropped as they really should of held on.

Riverside on the other-hand despite their lack of chances can leave the pitch today knowing they held the Lions down when it mattered.

Launceston City v sOUTH HOBART FC

Close for South but no cigar!
Launceston City FC

South Hobart have comeback from two goals down to rescue a 2-2 draw against Launceston City at Buckby Land Rover Park.

City scored the first of the day right before half-time. Martin Mitreski put in a cross from a corner and found Lindsay Millington who headed home past South keeper Graham Wright in stoppage time.

Noah Mies gave City a 2-0 lead in the 65th minute. Michael Hancox played in Mies, Mies ran around Wright and calmly finished in the back of the net.

Nick Morton got South back on the board a mere three minutes later. Morton received a through ball and launched his shot past City keeper Lachlan Clark to make the game 2-1 in the 68th minute.

Benjamin Hamlett brought South back to level terms in the 75th minute.


Olympia have returned to winning ways defeating bottom placed Clarence United 7-1 at Warrior Park.

Sam Randall got the visitors off to a great start. Randall got onto a loose ball and volleyed home past Olympia keeper Darby Randall for a surprise 1-0 lead for Clarence in the 2nd minute!

Sam Randall celebrates with teammates.

Warriors Number 1 keeper Kyle Mcdonald was on the pine today after copping an injury last week.

Olympia got back on level terms a mere two minutes later. Jonathan Ladic volleyed home inside the box past Clarence keeper Nicholas Downham to bring it back to 1-1 in a matter of minutes.

Jack Ryan joined in the scoring shortly after. Ryan ran into the box, got onto his left and finished his shot in the far bottom corner to give Olympia the 2-1 buffer.

Olympia’s Lucas Hill was substituted early after copping his second knock in recent weeks. That could prove to be some worrying news going forward in the season.

Joffrey Nkoso made it three for the Warriors in the 37th minute. Nkoso took off through the midfield, skimmed past two defenders and finished calmly past Randall.

Ryan bagged a brace before the half-time break. Jake Vandermey through balled Ryan, Ryan was one on one with the keeper and made no mistake finishing for a 4-1 lead.

Ryan grabbed a hat-trick in the opening minutes in the second half. Nkoso had all the space on the wing, put in a low cross, Ryan turned to face goal and slotted it home from close range.

Clarence were hit for six in the 70th minute. Ryan Cook through balled Vandermey, Vandermay thumped his shot right into the net.

Nkoso wrapped things up in the 90th minute. A shot rocketed from Ryan off the cross bar back into play, Nkoso found himself on a tight angle and shot into the far bottom corner.