Nix learn what happens with Ufuk with Sydney

A sunny Sunday afternoon in the Inner West of Sydney? We know what that means 一 A-League football is back. The beer was flowing and the burgers were cooking but more importantly, the champions were back at home. 

The Sky Blues were hosting Wellington Phoenix at Leichhardt Oval and it was the former teammates of Steve Corica and Ufuk Talay going head to head. The evening was kicked off with The Cove unveiling a stunning tifo which displayed Sydney FC legends past and present and penned the question ‘Which of you is next?’

Sydney picked up right where they left off last season and started the game strongly by dominating possession and creating a few chances. That clear control of the game eventually turned into a goal when midfield man Brandon O’Neill gained control of the ball in the box, created some space and struck the ball which then deflected off a defender into the back of the net. 

1-0 to the champions. 

The home end erupted with noise. The drums were pounding and the beer went flying. How I’ve missed this feeling. We started signing Brandon’s name and we truly felt like football was back.

Embed from Getty Images

It wasn’t long after the first goal when complacency struck and we started to look sloppy and less of a threat going forward. Nix decided to make the most of this complacency and managed to get a few opportunities in the box but failed to get a goal. Jaushua Sotirio almost managed to get Nix back in the game when he leaped for a header but it was none other than Andrew bloody Redmayne who dived for a fantastic save. What a save, what a guy. 

Into the second half now and Nix were pressing more and more for a goal. They nearly got their chance when Redders made a fantastic save and the ball fell to Liberato Cacace only for the Nix fullback to hit the post. It seemed luck was on our side. 

Nix finally secured an equaliser through new signing Ulises Davila when the no.10 managed to beat Luke Brattan in the box and put it through the back of the net with ease. 

1-1. It looks like we have a game on our hands here. 

The game looked stale from this point and it seemed like both teams were going to walk away from this one with a point each. That was until, Brannerz stepped up to take a corner and whipped the ball right into the boot of the mullet man himself, Rhyan Grant, who then hit it first time and chipped it right over the keeper. 

Embed from Getty Images

The deadlock was broken. 2-1. Scenes in The Cove ensued as per normal. The trademark booming from the home end was even louder than the first goal and we all knew we’d be walking away with 3 points. 

2 wins from 2. Not bad. What’s next? The first Sydney Derby back at Parramatta. To say it is going to be a cracker would be an understatement.

Written by Alex Hrissis (Sydney FC fan)