Victory’s Christmas Cracker – Miracle on Swan St!

Both teams came in to the 31st Melbourne Derby at different ends of the form spectrum with City flying and Victory spluttering and cough in 8th position on the table and needing a real booster to their season.

Victory started the brighter of the two sides and should have been 1-0 in the open couple of minutes when Elvis Kamsoba struck a volley sweetly but straight at Tom Glover and all Andrew Nabbout had to do was tap it in to the open net but in keeping with Victory’s season so far, he put it wide of the goal.

Nabbout didn’t have to wait long to make amends for his poor miss when he whipped in a wicked cross which found Ola Toivonen at the back post to put the away side a goal up within the first 15 minutes.

Embed from Getty Images

Toivonen wheels away after tucking away goal number two for the afternoon

It would be Victory to score next when the big Swede happened to be in the right place at the right time with a dodgy right groin. Nabbout fired in a first touch cross which caught the City defence by surprise and the aforementioned cross bounced of Curtis Good and Tom Glover with Toivonen there to tap in the rebound and send Victory in to the sheds at half time wondering is this our Christmas Miracle.

City were next to draw blood and get themselves back in to a game that should have been over at the 50th minute when Nabbout again had the chance to score. He put his shot wide again in what was to be an up and down night for him. City managed to hit Victory on the counter attack in which the navy blue side almost put the ball into their own net. Harrison Delbridge managed to rise highest in the box from the resultant corner and beat Lawrence Thomas to give us an exciting finish.

City threw everything they could at Victory but it was Victory who had the final chance when Adama Traore’s cross was met by, who else but Nabbout but again, he managed to miss but thankfully it didn’t come back to bite Victory who held on to record a much deserved and much needed win.

Thankfully for Melbourne City there were plenty of police officers around for them lodge their Missing Persons report for Jamie Maclaren who was not sighted all afternoon.