NPL TAS Round 2 + WSL results

Kingborough Lions 3 (8′ Jack Gates, 55′ Chris Downes, 86′ Adam Mckeown) drew with Riverside Olympic 3 (25′  84′ Nil Sanz, 27′ Fletcher Fulton) at Lightwood Park

77′ Davis Bryan (Lions) red card.

I am indebted to Melissa Docking for her photos today. Thank you Melissa.

(C) Lions’ James Hall takes on a Riverside defender
Jack Gates celebrates his goal with Adam McKeown
Lions’ Danny Cowen sends the ball long while Riversides’ Taylor Neilson jumps in the way

Clarence Zebras FC 0 defeated by South Hobart FC 1 (45′ Kasper Hallam) at Wentworth Park

94′ Red card Andy Brennan (South)

(L) South’s Bradley Lakoseljac celebrates pictured middle Hallam’s goal right on half time
Assistant Referee Sam Pepper made his NPL debut in this match. Credit Tanner Coad
There was no welcoming party for Andy Brennans’ return to South. Referee Monty Piesse gave him his marching orders late in the second half.
(l) Zebras Coach David Smith, Frank Perri and Sergio Pace look on. Souths’ Coach Ken Morton pictured middle.

Launceston City 1 (83′ Samuel Ridgard) defeated by Devonport City FC Strikers 2 (3′ Connor Parke, 41′ Kieran Mulraney) at Buckby Land Rover Park

70′ Rob Gerrard (City) Red Card

Glenorchy Knights 3 (10′ Thomas Young, 45+3′ Alex Walter,63′ Joffrey Nkoso) d Olympia FC Warriors 1 (78′ Jack Ryan) at KGV Park

Making his NPL debut appearance of the season, Olympias’ GK Elliot Hoysted makes a great save. Regular starter Darby Randall was a late withdrawal due to sickness.
Olympia’s Lachlan O’ Connor keeps the ball in play while Knights’ Coach James Sherman and assistant Marcello Marchioli

WSL result

Ulverstone SC 2 (2′ 62′ Sophie Young) drew with UTAS Soccer Club 2 (72′ Amy Bissett, 81’ Eli Cropp) at Ulverstone Show Grounds.

George Anderson pictured last week v Kingborough Lions. Credit Molly Appleton

Both teams haven’t faced each other since the 2018 season.

University’s Sophie Young scored the first goal and we were only two minutes into the game! Ulverstone keeper George Anderson was unable to get a hand on it and it was 1-0 up to the away side.

The game soon changed however when Ulverstone were given a penalty kick at the 24th minute mark.

Ulverstone’s Mikalha George was the lucky one to step up to the spot. Unis’ keeper Rhiannon Steele turned that into a set of unluck fortune and saved away the penalty.

Young bagged Unis’ second after getting on a long ball over the defence and half a pitch run. Young was one on one and calmly finished.

2-0 with little under half an hour to go and it looked like the students were heading home with the 3 points.

Ulverstone’s Amy Bissett began the comeback for the home side in the 72nd minute.

Suddenly we had a game! But adding to the drama another penalty rewarded but this time to Ulverstone. 

Eli Cropp landed her shot into the net and the scores were equalised!

Full time sounded and Ulve had came back from 2 goals down to grab a hard earned point.

I spoke to Ulverstones’ goalkeeper George Anderson after the match.

” I thought both teams did a great job,” Anderson said. “Personally I though Uni had us all over when we were 2-0 down but in the final minutes of the game we came back hard. Disappointed not to get the win but will take the point after that comeback margin.”

Match article originally published on Beyond 90 and is republished with permission.

Stay tuned for our WSL weekend wrap on B90 later on.